Welcome to Tall Timbers Research Station & Land Conservancy

Stewards of Wildlife & Wildlands

Left to right, Herbert L. Stoddard, E. V. Komarek, J. L. Stevens, Henry L. Beadel; 1958.

Left to right, Herbert L. Stoddard, E. V. Komarek, J. L. Stevens, Henry L. Beadel; 1958.

Tall Timbers is a widely regarded information resource for the areas of fire ecology, game bird management, vertebrate ecology and forestry. The Research Station is recognized as the home of the study of fire ecology and is an advocate to protect the right to use prescribed fire for land management. And, the Land Conservancy is recognized as one of the nation’s leading land trusts, as it has protected traditional land uses in north Florida and south Georgia by conserving more than 128,000 acres in this region through conservation easements.

The history of Tall Timbers begins with Henry L. Beadel. The Research Station was originally his hunting plantation. Beadel had no heirs, so in his will he left his land and resources to create “a fire type nature preserve … to conduct research on the effects of fire on quail, turkey and other wildlife, as well as on vegetation of value as cover and food for wildlife, and experiments on burning for said objectives.” On February 7, 1958, Tall Timbers Research Station was established and Beadel’s legacy began.

In 1990, the Red Hills Conservation Association was formed as a program of Tall Timbers to conserve working lands that are used for forestry, agricultural, and recreational hunting. It focused its conservation efforts in the Red Hills Region located between Tallahassee, Florida and Thomasville, Georgia. Now known as the Tall Timbers Land Conservancy (TTLC), the land trust has expanded its service area, particularly in southwest Georgia, with projects that further Tall Timbers’ broader research mission. The results have allowed TTLC to become the largest regional land trust in Florida and Georgia.