IN THIS ISSUE...
- Garden & Gun Hosts Tall Timbers
- Tall Timbers featured at Hearth & Soul
- GA-FL Turkey Invitational
- Bird Boxing in South Florida
- Tree-ring Study of Historical Fires
- Concerns About Parasites in Bobwhite
- Experimental Garden Planted on Tall Timbers
- Carolina Regional Quail Project Gets New Biologist
- 2018 Continental Field Trial
- Spring Exhibit at Tall Timbers
- Fire Festival 2018
- Yes, Early Bobwhite Calls Heard
- Dr. Bud Bailey Donates Land to Tall Timbers
Winter 2018 | Vol 11 | No 1
Tall Timbers’ Georgia-Florida Turkey Invitational Benefits the Game Bird Program
For the 13th year, teams of two hunters will take to the woods in the Red Hills, talking turkey to attract a winning gobbler. This year the Georgia-Florida Turkey Invitational is April 12 and 13. Special guest Joe Hutto is the speaker at the Kick-off Supper & Registration, Thursday, April 12, at 6:00 PM held at Osceola Plantation Lodge in Thomas County, Georgia.
Joe Hutto is a nationally-known naturalist and author of Illumination in the Flatwoods, where he revealed the secret lives of wild turkeys to great critical acclaim; Hutto’s book resulted in the Emmy Award–winning PSB documentary My Life as a Turkey.
Friday, April 13, hunters will meet at the Osceola Plantation Barn at 12 noon for the Weigh-In & Awards Luncheon. Ricky Lackey, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation turkey biologist will serve as the offcial judge. There will be a Calcutta and raffle with prizes for first, second and third place. The first place winner will have their team engraved on the Perpetual Trophy and have their bird mounted by Harden’s Taxidermy. Each winner receives an engraved silver cup.
Tall Timbers thanks the host committee for this year’s invitational: Knox Parker (chair), Stephen Demott, Shane Drew, Robbie Green, Jay Kimbrel, Tim Miles and Bubba White.